Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Honoring Zora Neale Hurston, American Literary Genius, 1891-1960



Thursday, January 28, 2010 marks the 50th anniversary of the death of writer Zora Neale Hurston. 



"Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It is beyond me." --Zora Neale Hurston, "How It Feels to be Colored Me," 1928.


Click below to be taken to the following sites:




Click on the YouTube Links for bits of the feature-length documentary, Zora Neale Hurston: Jump at the Sun, directed by Sam Pollard, which premiered on PBS's American Experience. The film is distributed by California Newsreel, and is available on Amazon.com.



This is a clip of the official film trailer.



This clip has Zora's actual voice, singing the folk song, "Uncle Bud." Amazing!

No comments: