Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Outrageous. Unprofessional. Threatening. A Councilwoman's Rage.

I have written about this disturbing incident on Facebook, but I figured it would be clearer if I blogged about it. 
UPDATE: Cross-posted on my other blog.  Please see the comment there posted by Councilwoman Toliver's husband and my additional comments. 

When people make threats on your life, you must take them seriously. The Public Safety Director and the Corporation Counsel are aware of what Councilwoman Toliver said to me when she approached my car last night (August 14), after the council meeting in the presence of some of my colleagues. She was out of control and she threatened me. 

Some of you may remember that I took her husband, Alex Toliver,  to court for his threat a few years ago suggesting that I should be beheaded: Click here. He offered to plead guilty in court to a disorderly persons offense, but I was hoping that the judge would find him guilty of more serious harassment, which she didn't because the bar is extremely high, especially forpublic officials. She admonished him, however, and it was clear from her remarks that she believed me. You may also remember when Alex Toliver made a homophobic statement about me during public comment at a council meeting back in 2015, which was caught on tape and reported in the newspaper. Click here.  

Last night, his wife, Councilwoman Toliver, made a threat against me because she was totally out of order at a council meeting and I asked her to save an off-topic question for after our completion of the official agenda. The public safety division is aware and will be monitoring this outrageous and unprofessional behavior. 

Below, I have outlined what happened: 

During the meeting, I (as council president, running the agenda) allowed her ask what I thought was a follow-up question. However, she continued on for several minutes, going on a tangent on a matter that was far afield of the our published agenda. I called a point of order and told her that we could come back to her questions after we completed the agenda. At the end of the meeting, I asked her if she wanted to continue her earlier questions, and she said no, so we adjourned the meeting. Toliver confronted me AFTER the council meeting to complain (I was in my car, getting ready to go home), saying that I was trying to "embarrass" her. As she went on and on, I tried to explain to her that she was out of order (we follow Robert's Rules). She then said to me: "I WILL LET YOU LIVE...TODAY." I took that as a threat, as she certainly was not joking. I said, "You're threatening me...just like your husband did" (see above). 


I got out of my car and went over to Public Safety Director Riley to tell him that I had been threatened by Councilwoman Toliver. Then, Toliver tried to get in my face several times, saying loudly over and over, "What did you say about my husband?" I did not engage her, focusing on Director Riley and moving away from her--but she kept trying to get at me--the threat of violence was real. Councilwoman Rivers kept trying to pull her away from me, and finally Dir. Riley was able to get between where she was trying to get to me so she couldn't physically attack me. 

Some of you may remember a case a couple of years ago when Councilwoman Toliver went out of control after a council meeting, becoming very agitated--she actually had to be restrained--and then she filed charges against a resident who she said was getting in her face--those who were present witnessed him being pushed by her. Needless to say, her case was dismissed. Ironically, she was resistant to our moving the regular agenda setting sessions to the city hall library, saying she didn't feel that it was "safe"--well, last night's meeting was at the council court chambers, which abuts the police station--and SHE was the one who made it "unsafe" with her threat. 

Regarding last night's incident, a police officer, our city attorney, David Minchello, Director Riley and a few others also witnessed her outrageous behavior as she kept trying to get at me. After speaking with Dir. Riley as he walked me to my car, with his assurances that he had everything under control, I went home.

Her dangerous, out-of-control behavior and death threat directed at me clearly illustrate her unfitness for public office. I fear for the safety of any employee, my city council colleagues, and myself around this scary individual. I will be pressing charges against her and seeking an order of protection if she ever comes near me again.

Her behavior was outrageous, unprofessional, and threatening. It should not be tolerated. Dangerous individuals, homophobic individuals, and others who spew hatred should not be tolerated as public officials. 




No comments: