Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Performing "Race" - Juanita Hall - Journey Through Blackness

Several years ago, I started posting images of prominent African American artists (writers, performers, dancers, painters, sculptors, etc.) from the Van Vechten archive at Yale University. Many of the portraits were newly digitized back then, so they had not been seen in volume prior to that time. For Black History Month, I thought I would revisit some of these images. This first one is of Juanita Hall, a New Jersey native and musical performer perhaps best known for her portrayal of "Bloody Mary" in Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific. I would suggest readers check out more on Hall and some of the other African American figures that I will be posting images of over the next few weeks.
#journeythroughblackness


“South Pacific” and/
The racial implications/
Of “Bloody Mary.” 


Juanita Hall (1901-1968), by Van Vechten, 1953.

No comments: