Monday, October 28, 2013

Literary Reading of "Sweeps," from Skyline Worlds: Collected Stories


On Halloween, I will be participating in a literary reading to celebrate the publication of the new speculative fiction anthology, Skyline Worlds: Collected Stories, published by Osma Press. This collection features original works by two of my colleagues on the English Faculty at Essex County College, Sean O’Connell and Billy Tooma (who also served as editor of the collection), as well as a short story by me, titled "Sweeps."

This is my first time reading fiction to an audience that includes my students, so I am very excited about it. The event will take place at 3:50 pm in Siegler Hall on the 2nd floor of the Main Building at 303 University Avenue. It is free and open to the public.

My story, "Sweeps," is set in New York City in the 19th century, and focuses on the lives of young black chimney sweepers who are "swept" into a chilling adventure that threatens the future of African Americans in the years just after the end of the Civil War. I will be reading selected passages from the story. We will be doing a free raffle for a book giveaway, we'll have Halloween treats and 3 lucky winners will also receive ... 
...COOKIES!  

All best,

Rebecca

No comments: