Thursday, June 16, 2016

Evanescence



Peruse the images of the 49 mostly Latinx and black victims of the homophobic murder spree in Orlando by clicking on this link to a photo gallery published by the New York Daily News: Victims of the Orlando nightclub mass shooting 

The photo gallery provides an opportunity to see all those who died and to learn a little about them. I am especially struck by the faces of Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, 22, originally from New Jersey, and of 18 year-old Akyra Murray, a young black lesbian, who were among the youngest of the victims. I cannot right now articulate why they stand out so clearly for me...perhaps because they remind me of my students...may they rest...but still haunt our collective conscience as we fight to end gun violence.











 

No comments: